Saturday 22 July 2000

BEN and MADDIE scene

BEN and MADDIE are in BEN's flat. She has just come in and they are drinking beer together. It is grim and rainy outside. They are both sitting.

MADDIE:
Sorry for barging in on you like this. Me and Ethan had a fight,
I just wanted to get out of there for a while.

BEN:
A fight? (smiling, he mimes punching himself on the chin)
Well, you're no worse for wear.

MADDIE:
You should see the other guy.
(beat)
He's proposed, Ben. He got this really posh job offer and he's
decided we should get married.
For a moment all we hear is the rain outside. BEN doesn't really react. He sits casually, eyes still toward the floor.

BEN:
Well, he's making a terrible mistake.
(he looks up at her)
You cook for shit.
MADDIE sees he's only kidding and playfully kicks his chair, laughing.
MADDIE:
Shut up. Bastard.

BEN:
So when did this alleged proposal occur?

MADDIE:
Not that long ago, actually. Around half hour, I think?

BEN leans back in his chair, eyes closed and laughing. MADDIE joins in.

BEN:
Then why were you fighting? Did you say no?

MADDIE:
No, I said yes.
BEN hesitates for a microsecond, but recovers well, his face says he's happy. We know he's not.
BEN:
(playful)
Then why are you here? Shouldn't you be out somewhere eating an overpriced steak? Drinking overpriced wine at some overpriced place of celebration? That sort of thing? Isn't that what people normally do when they're deliriously happy?
The mood is becoming less and less light.

MADDIE:
His job offer is in the States. He told me he'd accepted AFTER
I agreed to be his wife. He made that decision without me.
Asshole.

BEN:
Him or me?

MADDIE:
Why, what'd you do?

BEN:
Nothing that I can recall.

MADDIE:
Him, then.

BEN:
Watch it, that's the future Mr. Maddie you're talking about.

A beat passes..

BEN:
When's the wedding?

MADDIE:
Don't know.

BEN:
When do you leave?

MADDIE:
Two weeks from Saturday.
(takes on last long drink from her bottle, holds it up)
Please, sir. May I have some more?

BEN:
(wide-eyed, standing up)
MOOOOORE? The chemistry is coming back, the tension is lifting. MADDIE'S CELL PHONE rings. BEN retreats to the kitchen to fill the order as she answers. We don't really hear what's being said. BEN collects the beers and walks back into the living area. MADDIE is putting her cell phone away, somewhat hurried. She walks toward the door.

MADDIE:
That was Ethan. I'm sorry, Ben. I have to go.

BEN:
Is everything alright?

MADDIE:
I don't know. The police are evacuating our neighborhood. Gas leak or something. I'll call you when I find out what's happening.